Employment - Wages & Conditions
All employees and employers in businesses in Australia are covered by a national workplace relations system, established by the Fair Work Act 2009.
This has simplified the administration of Industrial Awards as all employers and employees in the national system have the same workplace rights and obligations, regardless of the state they work in.
Features of the national workplace relations system include:
- a set of 10 minimum National Employment Standards (NES)
- modern awards that apply nationally for specific industries and occupations
- a national minimum wage order (where it applies)
- enterprise bargaining, and
- protection from unfair dismissal.
Modern awards, together with the NES and the national minimum wage order, make up a safety net for employees covered by the national workplace relations system.
FACT SHEETS ON THE NATIONAL EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS (NES)
Please note that these consolidated modern awards are prepared by the staff of the Fair Work Commission and are believed to be accurate but no warranty of accuracy or reliability is given and no liability is accepted for errors or omissions or loss or damage suffered as a result of a person acting in reliance thereon.